Building projects together is all about spending time with each other.
Photo © 007NASCARCovert / Flickr
But that doesn't matter. Spending time with each other is what it's all about.
Model cars are a great project for the family. Even though it takes time to master the art of gluing a tiny stick shift into the body of a plastic car, the real goal is to work together and keep them busy with something other than TV and video games. So what if the wheels fall off or your paint job is gloppy?
Another fun family project is to build a dollhouse together. Hammering, gluing and painting will entertain the kids for weeks.
Don't be intimidated by the work involved. Many parents shy away from building a dollhouse because it looks too hard. Just like with model cars, though, you're not striving to build a house Frank Lloyd Wright would want to live in. It doesn't matter if your shingles aren't straight or the front door doesn't close completely.
Just remember, your creations don't have to be perfect!
If you're ready to get started, don't head to the craft store just yet. Use creative ways to find coupons to snag these projects at up to 50% off. Craft stores are always running in-store deals as well as offering coupons, so take advantage of the savings by looking at their circular and coupons on their websites.
If you'd rather get some building help from the pros, take the kids to a workshop at a home improvement store. Lowe's Build and Grow Workshops and Home Depot Kids Workshops are free activities that encourage kids to build something out of wood.
Projects vary by workshop but kids can build helicopters, bird feeders, schoolhouses, games and more. The stores even provide the materials so there's zero money for you to shell out.
What types of projects do you like to build with your family? Share your ideas with other parents looking for something to do with their kids during winter.
More Winter Activities:
- Winter Activity #1 - Kids' Building Projects
- Winter Activity #2 - Indoor Hopscotch
- Winter Activity #3 - Make a Wall Canvas
- Winter Activity #4 - Take Flight
- Winter Activity #5 - Shoot an "I Love You" Photo Collage
- Winter Activity #6 - Create an "I Ruff You" Foam Dog
- Winter Activity #7 - Play a Life-Sized Board Game
- Winter Activity #8 - Turn Your House Into a Movie Theater
- Winter Activity #9 - Create a Website With Your Kids
- Winter Activity #10 - Explore Cultures of the World