Her recipe faced a challenge at my house. I don't like spinach. My husband prefers it cold. My toddler won't eat anything green, including ice cream. Not only did every one of us enjoy it, we scraped the skillet clean.
This recipe, courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian, is straight from her kitchen. It also comes highly recommended from her four daughters, ages four and under.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach, washed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese (Melissa d'Arabian also uses leftover string cheese)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add chopped spinach, and toss with caramelized shallots. Add chicken broth, and increase heat to medium high. Cover pan with lid, and let spinach steam down for 3-4 minutes.
Remove lid, and add in half-and-half. Allow the liquid to reduce by a third, stirring to keep from burning.
Once reduced, turn heat down to low, and gently stir in the Mozzarella cheese until it starts melting. Add the Parmesan cheese, and stir just until it starts to melt then turn the heat off. (Note: The cheese will continue melting).
Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.